Below is an excerpt from ISS ESG’s thought leadership paper: COP 15: Biodiversity Opportunities and Risks for Investors. The full paper is available for download from the Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) online library.
- Biodiversity loss represents a significant systematic risk, one on which investors are increasingly focussed.
- New biodiversity-related initiatives targeting financial institutions are currently under development.
- 2022’s COP 15 offers an opportunity to reverse biodiversity loss.
- Asset owners and managers are developing biodiversity-related active ownership policies.
- ISS ESG tools such as the Biodiversity Impact Assessment Tool, SDG Solutions Assessment, SDG Impact Rating, ESG Corporate Rating, Norm-Based Research, and Thematic Engagement Solution can help investors to assess companies’ approaches to and impacts on biodiversity.
Figure: Biodiversity Management and Protected Areas grading for Large Cap companies
Source: ISS ESG Data
Explore ISS ESG solutions mentioned in this report:
- ISS ESG’s Biodiversity Impact Assessment Tool helps investors assess the impact of companies’ business and supply chain activities on biodiversity.
- Understand the impacts of your investments and how they support the UN Sustainable Development Goals with the ISS ESG SDG Solutions Assessment and SDG Impact Rating.
- Identify ESG risks and seize investment opportunities with the ISS ESG Corporate Rating.
- Assess companies’ adherence to international norms on human rights, labor standards, environmental protection and anti-corruption using ISS ESG Norm-Based Research.
- Develop engagement strategies, define achievable engagement objectives and manage your engagement process with ISS ESG’s Norm-Based Engagement Solution and Thematic Engagement Solution.
By: Reza Marvasti, Biodiversity & Alternative Asset Product Manager, ISS ESG
Cosima Reiff, ESG Methodology Lead, SDG Impact & Thematic Solutions, ISS ESG
Shreeya Shukla, Associate, Corporate Ratings, ISS ESG
Cecily Liu, ESG Consultant, ISS ESG
Erin Wood, ESG Engagement Manager, ISS ESG
Mirko Knisel, Sector-Based Screening Associate, ISS ESG
Ishani Deshpande, ESG Research Junior Analyst, ISS ESG
Vrusha Deshpande, Climate Change–Investor Research Analyst, ISS ESG